Need a Vaccine? Learn how to get your shot at Vaccinate.Virginia.gov or call 1-877-VAX-IN VA. 8am - 8pm. Language translation available, TTY users dial 7-1-1. ¿Necesitas vacunarte? Enterate cómo conseguir tu vacuna Vaccinate.Virginia.gov o llamando al 1-877-829-4682 de 8am a 8pm. Traducción disponible en tu idioma. Usuarios de TTY pueden marcar al 7-1-1. Learn More.
Virginia ABC > Licenses > Get a License > Retail Licenses

Get a Retail License

Retail licenses allow for the serving and sale of wine, beer and mixed beverages at restaurants, hotels, convenience stores, grocery stores, gourmet shops, delicatessens and other establishments. For additional information, explore our glossary related to retail licenses. View application guidelines.


An on-premise retail license allows for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises of the establishment. Mixed beverages can only be authorized on-premises.

Apply for on-premise retail licenses.



An off-premise retail license requires alcoholic beverages to be taken off of the premises of the establishment after purchase.

Apply for off-premise retail licenses.


On- and Off-Premise

An on- and off-premise retail license allows for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises of the establishment as well as authorizes the sale of beer in closed containers for off-premises consumption.

Apply for on- and off-premise retail licenses.



Specialized retail licenses authorize a variety of privileges for particular businesses, ranging from day spas to meal assembly kitchens.

Apply for specialized retail licenses.

Licensee Masthead
Sign up for the Licensee e-newsletter to stay informed about selling and serving alcohol in Virginia.

Need Help?

Explore our list of frequently asked questions (FAQs).

For additional licensing assistance, please contact your regional ABC office or email enforcement@virginiaabc.com.

Bringing Personal Alcohol Into Virginia?

Moving into Virginia from out of the country or from another U.S. state? Returning to Virginia from vacation? Learn more about bringing personal alcohol into the Commonwealth.

Keg Information

If you are a consumer and wish to purchase a keg click here.