Virginia ABC > Licenses > VAL System > License Definitions > Mixed Beverage Caterer / Mixed Beverage Restaurant

Mixed Beverage Caterer / Mixed Beverage Restaurant

A mixed beverage caterer license authorizes the licensee to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption at private gatherings or special events.

A mixed beverage restaurant license authorizes the licensee to:

  • sell and serve mixed beverages for on-premises consumption in the restaurant, private rooms, or designated areas
  • sell distilled spirits in original closed containers for on-premises consumption under certain conditions
  • sell and serve wine and beer for on-premises consumption and in closed containers for off-premises consumption.


Fees are based on the following classifications:

1 to 100 seats—$3,040
101 to 150 seats—$3,485
151 to 500 seats—$3,970
501 to 1,000 seats—$4,490
Over 1,000 seats—$5,090


COV 4.1-206.3.(A)—Retail Licenses
COV 4.1-231.1.(A)(3)—Fees on state licenses

Apply for This License

Completing the application may take 15–30 minutes. Average ABC processing time is 60–90 days. View the list of retail license documents (PDF) required to complete the application. Apply for this license (PDF).

The information on this page does not in any way replace or supersede what is listed in Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia or Title 3 of the Administrative Code of Virginia. It is the responsibility of every individual or business applying for a license or permit to review, in detail, the applicable sections of the code.
Licensee Masthead
Sign up for the Licensee e-newsletter to stay informed about selling and serving alcohol in Virginia.

Need Help?

Special agents are the primary resource for questions related to operating a business with an ABC license. Contact a special agent via your regional ABC office. For step-by-step assistance in banquet licensing, see our Licensing Wizard.


Virginia ABC offers free online training to help managers, sellers and servers to become more responsible and better understand ABC laws, rules and regulations. For more information, contact Community Health & Prevention, (804) 977-7440 or [email protected].

License Definitions
  • Mixed Beverage Caterer / Mixed Beverage Restaurant