With the goal of supporting campus efforts, HEADS UP offers a number of educational resources that provide information on various topics related to substance abuse.
- Basics of Alcohol Education Guide (PDF): This toolkit provides information for any
group, organization or individual to use during trainings, activities and events. It provides facts on the risks and harms associated with alcohol and steps for making safe and healthy decisions.
- Tips for Planning Your Alcohol Awareness Event (PDF): A great way to support your alcohol education initiatives is through sponsoring a resource fair. We’ve provided a few tips for planning your alcohol awareness event.
- Basics of Alcohol Training (PPTX): This training is intended to help make students aware of Virginia law, common myths about alcohol and how to make healthy and responsible decisions.
- Basics of Alcohol Training Lesson Plan (PDF): Our lesson plan includes learning objectives, additional resources and a script to help you facilitate the Basics of Alcohol Training for students on your campus.
HEADS UP provides free promotional materials for institutions of higher education and community organizations working with college students.
- Want to engage your students while providing information about responsible decision making? These trivia cards (PDF) are great to use during a health fair or classroom training!
Additional Virginia ABC Resources
Publications: Our College and 21 and Older publications are free to order and download.
Grants: Alcohol Education and Prevention Grants assist community partners in developing and enhancing initiatives related to alcohol education and prevention.
Project Sticker Shock: This community awareness program is designed to prevent people 21 and older from purchasing alcohol and providing it to underage individuals.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: NIAAA supports and conducts research on the impact of alcohol use on human health and well-being. It is the largest funder of alcohol research in the world.
The College Alcohol Intervention Matrix: CollegeAIM can help schools choose interventions wisely—boosting their chances for success and helping them improve the health and safety of their students.
Campus Drug Prevention: The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) provides institutions of higher education and their surrounding communities with resources to prevent drug abuse among college students.
Virginia College Alcohol Leadership Council: VACALC offers leadership and professional advice regarding the prevention of high risk, hazardous alcohol and other drug-related behavior through collaboration, education, support, networking, mentoring, and advocacy.
The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility: The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility leads the fight to eliminate drunk driving and underage drinking and promotes responsible decision-making regarding alcoholic beverages.
Boosting Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students Initiatives: BACCHUS Initiatives is a collegiate peer education program that supports the achievement of students’ academic and personal success by building skills in student leaders to address campus health and safety issues.
Step UP!: Step UP! is a pro-social behavior and bystander intervention program that educates students to be proactive in helping others.
FailSafe: FailSafe is a web-based toolkit that engages and empowers student leaders to assess, manage, and reduce high risk drinking behaviors among members of their student organization.
Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Drug Misuse Prevention and Recovery: The Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Drug Misuse Prevention and Recovery, in partnership with the nation’s colleges and universities, promotes student success nationally by providing data-driven solutions to alcohol and drug misuse, leads the dialogue on collegiate alcohol and drug misuse and recovery in the national agenda and ensure the long-term sustainability and effectiveness of the Center’s efforts.