In partnership with Virginia ABC, Miss Virginia travels across Virginia to elementary schools spreading a message of health, wellness and substance use prevention with students and teachers through the Miss Virginia School Tour.
To accommodate virtual and socially distant in-person learning environments, the Miss Virginia School Tour will offer three options for participation during the 2020-2021 school year:
- virtually with a pre-recorded video
- virtually live
- in-person following social distancing protocols and federal, state and local ordinances
Through the Miss Virginia School Tour, each student receives a copy of Virginia ABC’s educational Health and Safety Activity Workbook. The workbook encourages powerful connections when a teacher or caregiver shares the experience of completing the book with a child. This early communication sets the stage for a lifetime of promoting health and safety through being informed, approachable and a good leader. Workbooks will be shipped to each school prior to the scheduled visit and will be addressed to the contact who registered. For schools participating virtually, workbooks will be shipped to the school and can be distributed to students when hardcopy instructional materials are distributed.
During her visit, Miss Virginia provides the foundation and encouragement for young students to understand healthy choices and be aware of the harms of substance use. The Miss Virginia School Tour messaging aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOLs) of Advocacy and Health Promotion, Essential Health Concepts and Healthy Decisions focusing on substance use prevention as outlined in the SOLs. In accordance with these standards, two versions of the presentation based on grade level (Kindergarten-1st grade and 2nd-5th grade) are available. If a visit for an entire school or a combination of lower and upper elementary grade levels is requested the K-1 version of the program will be delivered.
Through the Miss Virginia School Tour students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to identify what is safe and healthy for their bodies.
- Learn what positive choices are and how to make them and how to say “no” when something is not healthy for their bodies.
- Learn what it means to be a leader in their community and among their friends.
- Be able to identify who is a trusted adult and understand the role they play in their lives.
Schedule a Miss Virginia School Tour for your school or community group.