How do I find out what jobs are available at Virginia ABC?
Visit Virginia ABC's online employment system to search for current openings. A list of available positions can be viewed anytime on any computer with internet access. This information is updated regularly so you'll want to check back frequently.
How does the application process work?
Applicants must complete all job applications online. Once you have set up your profile in Virginia ABC's online employment system, you may apply to any of the open positions listed. All applications will be screened and those applicants who are to be interviewed will be contacted, usually within two to four weeks after the closing date listed on the job announcement. You may check the status of your application by logging back into the online employment system. After a final selection is made, all interviewed applicants will be notified that the position has been filled by a system-generated email.
How do I apply for a job?
The application process has three steps:
- Visit Virginia ABC's online employment system to create a username and password. Be sure to remember your username and password so that you can log back into the system to check on the status of your application as well as apply to additional positions. One user ID should be associated with one applicant. User IDs cannot be replicated.
- Create your online profile. (This can be done at any time even if a position you want to apply to is not currently posted.)
- Submit an application by applying your online profile to a specific job opening by the closing date.
It's important that you read and follow all instructions carefully. Once you have finalized your online profile, you are ready to use that profile to apply to one of the current job openings shown on Virginia ABC's online employment system. You can see all open positions by clicking on the “Current Openings” tab. Once you find a position, click on the job title to view the position details and qualifications. From the position details, you will be able to select the “Apply Now” button to proceed with submitting an application for that position using the information saved to your profile. At the end of the application process, you will be able to attach a cover letter, resume, and other supporting documentation.
Can I save my application before I finish completing it?
The online application is designed to allow you to maintain your information in the system. This information is saved on the site and is available for editing each time you log in to the online employment system. Once you elect to apply for a specific job opening, the information from your profile is used to complete that job application. Fields marked with an asterisk indicate additional information you will be required to provide upon submitting the application for a specific job opening, but that information will not be saved in your profile. You must remember your username and password to log back into the online employment system. You cannot create an additional account with the same username.
How long does it take to complete the online application?
The time it takes to complete an application depends on several factors including the amount of work experience and education you have to enter, how fast you can type, etc. You should allow 20-45 minutes for the total process. However, you can expedite the process by collecting important information about previous work experience, education, certifications, etc. before you start creating your application. If you find you are missing a piece of information requested on the application, you may skip the field and go back later to complete it. If you decide to do this, it is important that you return and complete the missing information BEFORE you apply for a specific job opening. The information on your application when you apply will be used to evaluate your qualifications for the job so make sure it is accurate and contains all information requested.
How can I attach my resume?
As part of the online employment system application, you may attach a resume, cover letter and/or any other necessary documents. A total of four attachments may be provided. It's important to read all of the instructions carefully so that you submit all of the attachments required for the position. If you are including a resume or cover letter, please select the "Browse" option to attach it to the application. Only files of the following types are accepted: .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .docx or .doc (excluding versions prior to Word 97 and Word Perfect, .wps.doc).
File attachments must be less than 500 KB in size. When an application is submitted without the necessary supporting documentation, it may not be attached later.
When and how can I make changes to my application?
Changes can be made to your profile at any time. However, once you submit an application for a particular position, you cannot go back and make changes to the submitted application. Changes you do make to your profile will be reflected for any new position for which you apply.
- Using the online employment system, log in using your username and password.
- Click on "Create/Edit My Application."
- Make the desired changes to your profile and save. Your original information is replaced with your edits.
- The next time you apply for a position, your revised profile information will be submitted for that position.
Note: If you find that you need to make a correction or provide additional information after you have submitted your application for a job opening, you should contact Virginia ABC’s Human Resources Division at [email protected]
How can I check the status of my application?
Using the online employment system, log in using your username and password. On the left side menu bar, click on "Track My Applications". You will see one of the following status notes next to each position for which you applied:
- Submitted - Your application has been received by Virginia ABC and entered into our system.
- Received - We have acknowledged receipt of your application via system-generated email
- Canceled - Your application has been withdrawn by us per your request or you canceled the application yourself.
- Under Review - The job has closed and human resources is in the process of screening applications, interviewing candidates, processing the selected candidate’s criminal record check, and extending an offer of employment.
- Closed Filled - The position has closed and a candidate has been hired.
- Closed Not Filled - The position has closed but a candidate was not selected (note: the position may be reposted and if so, you will need to reapply).
- N/A Emp (Not State Employee) - The position is for current state employees only and you are not eligible to apply.
- Expired - Your application has been on file for more than 30 days and you must reapply for the job opening.
I want to work at Virginia ABC but don’t see a job open right now. Can I submit a general application for when the job I want becomes available?
Virginia ABC accepts applications only for positions for which we are actively recruiting. These vacancies are posted on the online employment system. You may complete your profile in Virginia ABC's online employment system now and save it for when you want to apply for future vacancies.
Who will see my application if I use the online employment system?
Your application is on a secure web server and will be available to Virginia ABC’s Human Resources Division and the interviewer(s) for the specific job opening to which you applied. If the same position becomes available in a different division or with a different supervisor, your application may be reviewed for that opening by the responsible supervisor. Virginia ABC does not share its database with other companies or localities.
Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
Yes, once you have completed your online profile through Virginia ABC's online employment system, you may apply to multiple positions that are currently open. Even weeks or months later, all you have to do to apply for another job is to log back on to the site and apply. The information you originally added to your profile will still be in the system available for you to update and/or submit for another job opening.
How long is my application valid?
If you do not apply for any Virginia ABC job openings for five (5) years, you will have to reenter your information before you can apply again. You will be able to make changes to your saved profile prior to applying for a specific job opening.
Why do I have to fill out another application?
Applications are required for each position for which you are applying. It is possible that you may have acquired additional skills, experience, and education since you originally applied that should be considered with a new position. In addition, completing an online application ensures your qualifications and personal information will be documented and ensures accurate applicant tracking information for every position.
Are there specific internet requirements for using the online employment system?
The following browsers have been tested and work correctly with the Virginia/ABC online employment system:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0 or latest
- Safari 11.03 or latest
- Firefox 50 or latest
- Google Chrome 55 or latest
What if I do not have a computer or access to the internet?
You may gain access to a computer to use Virginia ABC’s online employment system at the following locations:
How do I print my application?
You must be logged in to the online employment system to print an application. At the end of the application process, you will be given the option to print. You may print a previously submitted application from the "Track My Applications" page.
I missed the deadline. Can I still apply?
Once a closing date (deadline) has passed for a specific position, no applications will be accepted. Please continue to visit the online employment system and apply for new jobs as they become available. You may also choose to use the “Set Job Alerts” feature for automated notification. You will receive an email if a job in your area of interest becomes available.
Can I apply by sending my resume via email?
All applications must be completed using the online employment system. Emailed and paper applications and resumes will not be accepted.
Why does Virginia ABC use an online employment system?
The benefits of the online process to applicants, hiring departments, and Virginia ABC far outweigh the advantages of a manual application process. The advantages to using the online employment system include the ability to:
- Save your profile online for reuse on future job openings.
- Update your online profile with skills and experience related to a specific job posting.
- Access and review the job requirements while completing the application.
- Submit your application immediately and directly to Virginia ABC, thus minimizing the risk of missing a deadline or loss of the application.
- Save time when you want to apply for multiple jobs at one time, or apply for several positions throughout the year.
- Keep track of the status of the position(s) for which you applied.
- Access the online employment system 24 hours a day, seven days a week from any computer with internet connection.
- Receive email notifications of specific job openings.
For Virginia ABC’s Human Resources Division, the online process also:
- Reduces the process time from when a job is listed to when applications are received, thus reducing the time it takes to fill a position.
- Diminishes the redundant work of processing, printing, copying, and distributing paper applications/resumes.
- Provides more consistent applicant tracking information and the ability to search and utilize applications on file.
Who do I contact if I have trouble with the Apply Online website or my online application?
If you need assistance with your password reset or account login, please contact Virginia ABC’s Production Support Team at (804) 213-4513 between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
If you have questions about a specific job listing or general employment-related matters, please contact the Human Resources Division at [email protected]. Virginia ABC staff will make sure that you are able to apply for any position that interests you.
If you experience technical difficulties with our Apply Online employment application process or have questions on how to use the Apply Online website, please call 804-213-4658.