Virginia ABC's Warehouse Accomplishes Remarkable Things
From the outside, it’s not very remarkable—just another giant warehouse sitting a stone’s throw away from Interstate 95, blending seamlessly into a mostly industrial landscape. But on any given day Virginia ABC’s 292,285-square-foot warehouse building, which is attached to Virginia ABC’s central office in Richmond, holds about $35 million worth of distilled spirits, Virginia wine and non-alcoholic mixers. Here are some facts about Virginia ABC’s warehouse:
- The warehouse is the size of about five and a half football fields.
- During peak season (October 1–January 1) the warehouse has an average inventory of $45 million worth of distilled spirits, Virginia wine and nonalcoholic mixers.
- The warehouse processes orders for an average of 65–70 stores daily using an automation system installed in 2006, which allows employees to process a maximum 20,000 cases in an eight-hour shift.
- Thirty items are the largest volume items, and they represent 30 percent of Virginia ABC's business. By store order volume, Jack Daniel’s 7 Black is the top distilled spirit.
- The agency’s warehouse has been located at 2901 Hermitage Road since 1971.
- The warehouse conducts four complete inventories annually. Each inventory requires two days.
- About 90 percent of the warehouse inventory is glass.
- There are seven doors for receiving product from 15-17 tractor trailers a day during non-peak times and 20–22 daily during the peak season. Three “unloaders” and three “put away” drivers using forklifts move products around the warehouse.
- The warehouse prepares weekly deliveries for between 300–310 of Virginia ABC’s 358 stores. Forty-five stores receive delivery every other week and three stores receive deliveries once a month from the warehouse.
- Tractor trailer trucks carrying a maximum load of 45,000 pounds each service between one to six stores daily.
Virginia ABC is governed by a three-person Board consisting of a chairperson and two commissioners who direct all agency operations.
With more than 350 store locations across the Commonwealth, Virginia ABC is committed to providing excellent customer service.
Understanding Virginia's Alcohol Laws
Laws and cultural traditions surrounding alcohol differ throughout the world. In an effort to familiarize those who come to Virginia from other countries with the Commonwealth’s alcohol laws
, Virginia ABC in partnership with Substance Abuse Free Environment, Inc. Latino Coalition
met with 70 students in the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes in Chesterfield County on April 11.
Ireland's Ambassador Visits Virginia ABC
Anne Anderson, Ireland’s Ambassador to the United States, toured Virginia ABC’s Short Pump premier store
during her visit to Richmond on February 18. Virginia ABC has a long-standing relationship with “Bord Bia,” the Irish government agency charged with exporting products. This mutually profitable relationship has been enhanced recently given the increase in Irish spirits
available for export and the popularity of those products with Virginia consumers.
Brutal storms swept through the Commonwealth in February leaving many Virginians displaced and in need of assistance. Extensive clean-up efforts are underway and will continue in the weeks to come. Virginia ABC is partnering with the Department of Emergency Management to collect donations to help citizens recover from this crisis. In addition to being able to donate online
, customers may give to Virginia's Disaster Relief Fund at an ABC store