Changes effective February 2, 2021.
Virginia ABC utilizes a random drawing process to select the winning entries relative to each product code in each lottery. In cases where multiple items are offered through a single lottery form, individual customers and licensees may enter any or all of the available drawings on that particular lottery offering.
- Having an entry selected during the random drawing process in a lottery does not convey or entitle the entrant to receive any right or title to product owned and/or offered for sale by Virginia ABC.
- Selection of an entry only gives the entrant the opportunity to purchase the specified item from Virginia ABC, subject to the ordinary terms and conditions of sale for spirits products in the Commonwealth of Virginia. No other rights, either express or implied, are created.
- Products purchased by individual customers through the lottery are subject to applicable taxes and fees.
- Each lottery is open for at least 3 days unless otherwise noted. There is no advantage to entering the lottery as soon as it opens. Everyone who enters during the 3-day period has an equal chance of being selected. Odds depend on the number of entries received and the number of bottles available.
- All drawings will be witnessed by a member of the Virginia ABC Internal Audit Division.
- Virginia ABC reviews entries prior to the drawing process to confirm the eligibility of the entrant and the entry. Virginia ABC also reviews all winning entries following their selection to verify the eligibility of the entrant and the entry. Virginia ABC reserves the right to make determinations as to ineligible or disqualified entries at any time, and Virginia ABC’s decisions relative to such matters shall be final and non-appealable.
Retail Consumer Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in a Virginia ABC lottery for limited availability products, customers must be residents of Virginia or active-duty members of the military assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia. Eligibility must be verified at the final point of sale by the customer providing an approved form of identification. Approved forms of identification include a valid driver’s license or photo identification card issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Customers may also provide a work badge or a U.S. passport that includes a full name and photo along with a utility bill featuring the same name as the identification and a Virginia address. Members of the military may use an armed forces identification card and military orders for assignment to a permanent duty station in Virginia to prove eligibility. If a member of the military does not have military orders for assignment to a permanent duty station in Virginia but is a current Virginia resident, the military member may provide a current armed forces identification card and a copy of a utility bill proving residence in Virginia with a name matching the winner name and the name on the armed forces identification card and the name and address on the utility bill matching the winning entry. The first name, last name, and valid Virginia address shown on the photo ID presented at the time of purchase must match the first and last name and address on the winning entry. Lottery bottles purchased via debit or credit card must be purchased using a card issued to the winning entrant.
- Identification will be requested and verified by store staff upon pickup of a bottle the customer has been selected to purchase.
- Opportunities to purchase are not transferable.
- Customers selected to purchase a bottle who are unable to provide a valid form of identification showing a Virginia address or proof of Virginia residency will be unable to complete their purchase, and the bottle will either be placed on the store shelf for sale at a later date, or redistributed, as determined by Virginia ABC.
- All lottery entrants must be 21 years of age or older.
In order to participate in a lottery for a specific product, customers must enter the lottery through the Virginia ABC website during the applicable entry period. Access to the lottery form will be provided on the Limited Availability Products page. Virginia ABC will take reasonable steps to publicize lottery product offerings via multiple channels, to include the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter and Facebook page, Virginia ABC’s Twitter account and the Virginia ABC website via a link on the product page of the specific product(s) for which a lottery will be offered. Each lottery offering will be open for a minimum entry period of 3 days. Specific days and times of lottery entry periods may change.
- Virginia ABC lotteries for limited availability products may involve one or multiple items; however, separate drawings will be conducted for each item. During the entry process, entrants may opt into the drawings for any or all of the items available in a given lottery. Each entrant may only purchase one bottle of each item in a given lottery period. Entrants that do not check the box for any of the lottery products will not be entered into any lotteries.
- Prior to the start of the drawing process, Virginia ABC will review each entry to confirm the eligibility of the entrant and entry.
Limit on Number of Entries
Each individual consumer may enter a maximum of one time per each product code drawing conducted as part of a Lottery. Any individual consumer who submits, or is suspected of submitting, multiple entries for the same product code drawing may be disqualified.
There is also a limit of one entry per household or Virginia address for each product code drawing conducted as part of a Lottery. If more than one entry is submitted for the same product code drawing by different individuals living in the same household or Virginia address, Virginia ABC will accept only the first entry received from that household or Virginia address.
- Only one unique entry per individual customer and address will be accepted in a single lottery. Duplicate entries from the same individual customer or address will be removed. A unique entry contains unique information in all fields except store number.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to remove duplicate entries from entrants who Virginia ABC determines have submitted duplicate entries for a particular lottery. Virginia ABC reserves the right to bar entrants who Virginia ABC determines have submitted multiple duplicate entries from entering any future Virginia ABC product lotteries. Such customers will be notified in writing of their disqualification from entering future lotteries.
Under no circumstances will any individual consumer be permitted to purchase more than one item per product code during the same Lottery, Similarly, under no circumstances will persons living in the same household or sharing the same Virginia address be permitted to purchase more than one item per product code during the same Lottery, These purchase limits will be strictly enforced.
Virginia ABC Mixed Beverage Licensees
The following Virginia ABC On-Premise Mixed Beverage Retail license holders may enter Virginia ABC limited availability lotteries using their license number:
- Mixed Beverage – Restaurant, Hotel, Resort Complex
- Caterer, Mixed Beverage
- Caterer Limited, Mixed Beverage
- Combined Restaurant/Caterer, Mixed Beverage
Currently, sales to mixed beverage licensees amount to approximately 20 percent of Virginia ABC’s annual sales, although this percentage varies by product. Accordingly, Virginia ABC will allocate a proportional amount of bottles from the product supplier and set aside that proportional allocation for mixed beverage licensees.
- Separate lottery drawings will be conducted for mixed beverage licensee entrants and individual retail customer entrants.
- Only one entry per mixed beverage license number will be accepted in a single lottery. Invalid mixed beverage license numbers or duplicate entries from the same mixed beverage license number will be removed and disqualified.
- Only current, active-status Virginia mixed beverage restaurant licensees may enter.
- Ineligible licensee entrants will be removed prior to drawing.
- Licensee lottery bottles are intended for resale to customers in pours or cocktails and will receive tax stamps. Licensee lottery bottles are not transferable for personal use.
- Only persons legally authorized to make purchases on behalf of the licensee may purchase lottery bottles. Persons not legally authorized to make purchases on the behalf of the licensee found to have entered the lottery using an unauthorized license number will be banned from participating in all future Virginia ABC lotteries.
- Licensee entrants may enter once per licensed establishment.
- Licensee lottery bottles must be purchased at the store where the licensed establishment typically purchases their liquor.
- Licensee lottery bottles may only be purchased by the winning establishment and may not be transferred to another licensed establishment.
Entrants selected during the random drawing process will be notified via email that the bottle(s) will be shipped to the store the customer selected on their entry form. Once the selected store has received the bottle, store staff will attempt to contact the customer via the phone number and/or email address provided on the entry form.
- A lottery winner may only purchase one lottery bottle per product per lottery.
- If a bottle remains unclaimed at the store after a period of two weeks from the time the winner was notified of shipment to the store, that bottle will either be placed on the shelf for sale on a first-come, first-served basis, or redistributed, as determined by Virginia ABC. Store holds will not be accepted for bottles sold in this manner. Bottles placed on the shelf for sale will be limited to one per customer, no exceptions.
- If a customer is found to be ineligible to purchase a lottery product, that product will be held in the store’s back room until the next business day, at which time it will be placed on the shelf for sale on a first-come, first-serve basis. Store holds will not be accepted for bottles sold in this manner.
- All unclaimed lottery bottles or lottery bottles shipped to winners who are found to be ineligible will be sold on a one bottle per customer per visit basis.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to redistribute selected products until all inventory has been depleted, as well as to request that selected unclaimed bottles be returned to the warehouse in the case of damage or breakage of lottery bottles in warehouse inventory.
- If any inventory remains in the Virginia ABC warehouse at the conclusion of a lottery, such inventory will be forced out to stores with every attempt made to ensure equal distribution throughout the state. Any such bottles of lottery products that are forced out to stores will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, with no holds accepted. Bottles will be strictly limited to one per customer. Virginia ABC employees are not eligible to purchase these items. Entrants not selected during the lottery will receive a non-winner notification email.
- If for any reason the online submission form is not capable of running as planned due to an infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Virginia ABC that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the sign-up process, Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the online submission form. If the submission form is so terminated, Virginia ABC, at its discretion, may distribute bottles in an equitable manner among the eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken. Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampered with the sign-up process.
- Virginia ABC assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect and delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure or destruction affecting entries or for unauthorized access to or alteration of entries.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to change this policy in its sole discretion. In the event a lottery is currently running, the rules in operation at the time the lottery started will control the conduct of the lottery.
Broken, Damaged or Lost Items
If an item is broken, damaged, or otherwise lost prior to the time of pick up a winning entrant will only be entitled to receive reimbursement from Virginia ABC for the amount of monies actually paid to Virginia ABC relative to the purchase of the product; no other reimbursement or compensation is guaranteed. Additionally, Virginia ABC is not responsible for and will not offer any compensation for any product breakage, damage, or loss that may occur after a winning entrant has taken possession of a product
Resale of Product/Criminal Activity Prohibited
Items offered for sale to individual consumers are not intended for resale. The sale of alcoholic beverages without a license is strictly prohibited under Virginia law. Anyone suspected of violating applicable Virginia laws governing alcoholic beverages will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Furthermore, anyone suspected of engaging in fraudulent or other criminal activity in connection with a Lottery or otherwise will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
Disqualification from Participation
Anyone who violates these terms and conditions may be disqualified from participation in current and future Lotteries. Virginia ABC also reserves the right to disqualify any individual consumer or licensee suspected of engaging in any conduct intended to circumvent these terms and conditions or otherwise gain an unfair advantage over other entrants from participating in current or future Lotteries. Virginia ABC’s decisions relative to such matters shall be final and non-appealable.
Updated February 2, 2021