Changes effective April 1, 2019.
A random drawing process will be used to select the winning entries in each lottery. In cases where multiple items are offered through a single lottery form,
individual customers and licensees may enter any or all of the available drawings on that particular lottery offering.
- Having an entry selected during the random drawing process in a lottery does not convey or entitle the entrant to receive any right or title to
product owned and/or offered for sale by Virginia ABC.
- Selection of an entry only gives the entrant the opportunity to purchase the specified item from Virginia ABC, subject to the ordinary terms and
conditions of sale for spirits products in the Commonwealth of Virginia. No other rights, either express or implied, are created.
- Products purchased by individual customers through the lottery are subject to applicable taxes and fees.
- Each lottery is open for at least 2 days unless otherwise noted. There is no advantage to entering the lottery as soon as it opens. Everyone who
enters during the 2 day period has an equal chance of being selected. Odds depend on the number of entries received and the number of bottles available.
To be eligible to participate in a Virginia ABC lottery for limited availability products, customers must be residents of Virginia or active-duty members
of the military assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia. Eligibility must be verified at the final point of sale by the customer providing an
approved form of identification. Approved forms of identification include a valid driver’s license or photo identification card issued by the Virginia
Department of Motor Vehicles. Customers may also provide a work badge or a U.S. passport that includes a full name and photo along with a utility bill
featuring the same name as the identification and a Virginia address. Members of the military may use an armed forces identification card and military orders
for assignment to a permanent duty station in Virginia to prove eligibility.
- Customers selected to purchase a bottle who are unable to provide a valid form of identification showing a Virginia address or proof of Virginia
residency will be unable to complete their purchase, and the bottle will be returned to inventory as described below.
- Identification will be requested by store staff upon pickup of a bottle the customer has been selected to purchase. Opportunities to purchase are not
- All lottery entrants must be 21 years of age or older.
In order to participate in a lottery for a specific product, individual customers must enter the lottery through the Virginia ABC website during the
applicable entry period. Access to the lottery form will be provided on the Limited Availability Products page. Virginia ABC will take reasonable steps to
publicize lottery product offerings via multiple channels, to include the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter and Facebook page, Virginia ABC’s Twitter
account and the Virginia ABC website via a link on the product page of the specific product(s) for which a lottery will be offered. Each lottery offering
will be open for an entry period of 48 hours or longer. Specific days and times of lottery entry periods may change.
- Each lottery will be publicized on the Virginia ABC website and via the media described above.
- Virginia ABC lotteries for limited availability products may involve one or multiple items; however separate drawings will be conducted for each item.
During the entry process, entrants may opt into the drawings for any or all of the items available in a given lottery. Each entrant may only purchase one
bottle of each item in a given lottery period.
- Only one entry per individual customer will be accepted in a single lottery. Duplicate entries from the same individual customer will be disqualified.
- Prior to the start of the drawing process, each entry will be reviewed to confirm the eligibility of the entrant and entry.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to remove entrants who have been found to have submitted duplicate entries for a particular lottery. If Virginia ABC
chooses to remove these entrants, they will be sent one warning asking that they refrain from submitting duplicate entries. After this warning, if the same
entrant is found to have again submitted duplicate entries, Virginia ABC reserves the right to remove that entrant from the lottery entry list, along with
all their duplicate entries, and reserves the right to bar that entrant from entering any future Virginia ABC product lotteries. Such customers will be
notified in writing of their disqualification from entering future lotteries.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to delete entries from customers who have declined to purchase lottery bottles they have won in previous lotteries
two or more times. Such customers will be notified in writing of their disqualification from entering future lotteries.
- Customers may opt out of having their contact information shared with third parties. Contact information includes the customer’s first name, last name, phone number, email address, store number and store address.
Virginia ABC Mixed Beverage Licensees
Currently, sales to mixed beverage licensees amount to approximately 18 percent of Virginia ABC’s annual sales, although this percentage varies by
product. Accordingly, Virginia ABC will allocate a proportional amount of bottles from the product supplier, and set aside for mixed beverage licensee
- Separate lottery drawings will be conducted for mixed beverage licensee entrants and individual customer entrants.
- Only one entry per mixed beverage license number will be accepted in a single lottery. Invalid mixed beverage license numbers or duplicate entries
from the same mixed beverage license number will be disqualified.
- Only current, active-status Virginia mixed beverage licensees may enter.
- Ineligible licensee entrants will be removed prior to drawing.
- Licensee lottery bottles are intended for resale to restaurant customers in pours or cocktails and will receive tax stamps. Licensee lottery bottles are not transferable for personal use.
- Only persons legally authorized to make purchases on behalf of the licensee may purchase lottery bottles.
- Licensee entrants may enter once per licensed establishment.
- Licensee lottery bottles must be purchased at the store where the licensed establishment typically purchases their liquor.
- Licensee lottery bottles may only be purchased by the winning establishment and may not be transferred to another licensed establishment.
Entrants selected during the random drawing process will be notified via email that the bottle(s) will be shipped to the store the customer selected
on their entry form. Once the selected store has received the bottle, store staff will attempt to contact the customer via the phone number and/or email
address provided on the entry form.
- If a bottle remains unclaimed at the store after a period of two weeks from the time the winner was notified of shipment to the store, that bottle
will be placed on the shelf for sale on a first-come, first-served basis. Store holds will not be accepted for bottles sold in this manner.
- If a customer is found to be ineligible to purchase a lottery product, that product will be held in the store’s back room until the next
business day, at which time it will be placed on the shelf for sale on a first-come, first-serve basis. Store holds will not be accepted for bottles sold in
- Bottles remaining in warehouse inventory will be forced out to stores with every attempt made to ensure equal distribution throughout the state. Any
such bottles of lottery products that are forced out to stores will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to redistribute selected products until all inventory has been depleted.
- If any inventory remains in the Virginia ABC warehouse at the conclusion of a lottery, such inventory will be distributed to stores that have sold
this product or type of product in the past.
- Entrants not selected during the lottery will not be notified.
- If for any reason the online submission form is not capable of running as planned due to an infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering,
unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Virginia ABC that corrupt or affect the administration,
security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the sign-up process, Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify
or suspend the online submission form. If the submission form is so terminated, Virginia ABC, at its discretion, may distribute bottles in an equitable
manner among the eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken. Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any
individual who tampered with the sign-up process.
- Virginia ABC assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect and delay in operation or transmission, communications
line failure or destruction affecting entries or for unauthorized access to or alteration of entries.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to change this policy in its sole discretion. In the event a lottery is currently running, the rules in
operation at the time the lottery started will control the conduct of the lottery.
Updated April 23, 2019.