To be eligible to participate in a Virginia ABC lottery for limited availability products, customers must be residents of Virginia or active-duty members of the military assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia. Eligibility must be verified at the final point of sale by the customer providing an approved form of identification. Approved forms of identification include a valid driver’s license or photo identification card issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Customers may also provide a work badge or a U.S. passport that includes a full name and photo along with a utility bill featuring the same name as the identification and a Virginia address. Members of the military may use an armed forces identification card and military orders for assignment to a permanent duty station in Virginia to prove eligibility.
- Customers selected to purchase a bottle who are unable to provide a valid form of identification showing a Virginia address or proof of Virginia residency will be unable to complete their purchase, and the bottle will be returned to warehouse inventory.
- Identification will be requested by store staff upon pickup of a bottle the customer has been selected to purchase. Opportunities to purchase are not transferable.
- All lottery entrants must be 21 years of age or older.
In order to participate in a lottery for a specific product, individual customers must enter the lottery through the Virginia ABC website during the applicable entry period. Access to the lottery form will be provided on the Limited Availability Products page. Virginia ABC will take reasonable steps to publicize lottery product offerings via multiple channels, to include the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter and Facebook page, Virginia ABC’s Twitter account and the Virginia ABC website via a link on the product page of the specific product(s) for which a lottery will be offered. Each lottery offering will be open for an entry period of 48 hours. Specific days and times of lottery entry periods may change.
- Each lottery will be publicized on the Virginia ABC website and via the media described above.
- Virginia ABC lotteries for limited availability product may involve one or multiple items; however separate drawings will be conducted for each item. During the entry process, entrants may opt into the drawings for any or all of the items available in a given lottery. Each entrant may only purchase one bottle of each item in a given lottery period.
- Only one entry per individual customer will be accepted in a single lottery. Duplicate entries from the same individual customer will be disqualified.
- Prior to the start of the drawing process, each entry will be reviewed to confirm the eligibility of the entrant and entry.
Virginia ABC Mixed Beverage Licensees
Currently, sales to mixed beverage licensees amount to approximately 18 percent of Virginia ABC’s annual sales, although this percentage varies by product. Accordingly, Virginia ABC will allocate a proportional amount of bottles from the product supplier, and set aside for mixed beverage licensee orders.
- Separate lottery drawings will be conducted for mixed beverage licensee entrants and individual customer entrants.
- Only one entry per mixed beverage license number will be accepted in a single lottery. Invalid mixed beverage license numbers or duplicate entries from the same mixed beverage license number will be disqualified.
A random drawing process will be used to select the winning entries in each lottery. In cases where multiple items are offered through a single lottery form, individual customers and licensees may enter any or all of the available drawings on that particular lottery offering.
Having an entry selected during the random drawing process in a lottery does not convey or entitle the entrant to receive any right or title to product owned and/or offered for sale by Virginia ABC.
- Selection of an entry only gives the entrant the opportunity to purchase the specified item from Virginia ABC, subject to the ordinary terms and conditions of sale for spirits products in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Products purchased by individual customers through the lottery are subject to applicable taxes and fees.
- Each lottery is open for at least 2 days unless otherwise noted. There is no advantage to entering the lottery as soon as it opens. Everyone who enters during the 2 day period has an equal chance of being selected. Odds depend on the number of entries received and the number of bottles available.
Entrants selected during the random drawing process will be notified via email that the bottle(s) will be shipped to the store the customer selected on their entry form. Once the selected store has received the bottle, store staff will attempt to contact the customer via the phone number and/or email address provided on the entry form.
- If a bottle remains unclaimed at the store after a period of two weeks, that bottle will be returned to warehouse inventory. Additional random drawings of entrants will occur to assign the returned bottles.
- If any inventory remains at the conclusion of a lottery and there are no eligible entries remaining in either drawing for that item, such inventory will be distributed to stores that have sold through this product or type of product in the past.
- Entrants not selected during the lottery will not be notified.
If for any reason the online submission form is not capable of running as planned due to an infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Virginia ABC that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the sign-up process, Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the online submission form and, if terminated, at its discretion, distribute bottles in an equitable manner among the eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken. Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampered with the sign-up process.
Virginia ABC assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect and delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure or destruction affecting entries or for unauthorized access to or alteration of entries.
Updated: May 2017