Virginia ABC uses a random drawing process to select the winning entries for each product code offered via lottery.
- Having an entry selected during the random drawing process in a lottery does not convey or entitle the entrant to receive any right or title to product owned and/or offered for sale by Virginia ABC.
- Selection of an entry only gives the entrant the opportunity to purchase the specified item from Virginia ABC, subject to the laws and regulations governing the sale of spirits products in the Commonwealth of Virginia. No other rights, either express or implied, are created.
- Products purchased by individual customers through the lottery are subject to applicable taxes and fees.
- Each lottery is open for a minimum of three days unless otherwise noted. There is no advantage to entering the lottery as soon as it opens. Everyone who enters during the three-day period has an equal chance of being selected. Odds depend on the number of entries received and the number of bottles available.
- All lottery drawings and the lottery drawing process will be observed by a member of the Virginia ABC Internal Audit Division.
- Virginia ABC reviews entries prior to the drawing process to confirm the eligibility of the entrant and the entry. Virginia ABC also reviews all winning entries following their selection to verify the eligibility of the entrant and the entry. Virginia ABC reserves the right to make determinations as to ineligible or disqualified entries at any time, and Virginia ABC’s decisions relative to such matters shall be final and non-appealable.
- Entrants will be notified of their entry status by email from Virginia ABC stating whether their entry was accepted or disqualified.
- Lottery entries can be disqualified due to one or more of the following:
- The entrant was identified as a non-Virginia resident.
- The entry was identified as a duplicate entry from the same individual customer.
- An individual consumer submitted, or is suspected of submitting, multiple entries for the same product code drawing.
Virginia ABC holds separate lottery events and processes for licensee and retail customers. Licensees are not able to enter the retail customer lottery and vice versa. Lottery events for licensees are not advertised via Spirited Virginia communications such as email and social media posts. Licensees will be notified separately of licensee lottery events.
Retail Consumer Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in a Virginia ABC lottery for limited availability products, customers must be 21 years of age or older and residents of Virginia or active-duty members of the military assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia. Eligibility is verified prior to the drawing process and at the final pickup of product by the customer providing an approved form of identification.
Approved forms of identification (ID) include a valid driver’s license or photo identification card issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles featuring the same name, address and last four digits of the ID as the submitted winning entry.
Active-duty members of the military with residency in Virginia must submit the following information to prove eligibility in Virginia: the last four digits of armed forces benefits number . If selected to purchase, members of the military must provide their armed forces identification card bearing the last four digits used to enter the lottery and orders to verify residency in Virginia.
The first name, last name, last four digits of the photo ID (or benefits number for members of the military) and valid Virginia address shown on the photo ID (or orders for members of the military) presented at the time of product pickup must exactly match the first and last name, address and last four digits of the photo ID (or benefits number for members of the military) on the winning entry.
- Identification will be requested and verified by store staff upon pickup of a bottle the customer has been selected to purchase.
- Opportunities to purchase are not transferable.
- Customers selected as winning entries who are unable to provide a valid form of identification showing a Virginia address or proof of Virginia residency will be unable to complete their purchase, and the bottle will be retained in the store’s stockroom until the next authorized in-store limited availability event for sale on a first-come, first-served basis, or redistributed, as determined by Virginia ABC.
- All lottery entrants must be 21 years of age or older.
Virginia ABC employees are not eligible to enter Virginia ABC product lotteries.
To participate in a lottery for a specific product, customers must enter the lottery through Virginia ABC’s website during the applicable entry period. Access to the lottery form will be provided on the lottery page. Virginia ABC will take reasonable steps to publicize lottery product offerings via multiple channels, to include the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter, Facebook page, Instagram, and the Virginia ABC website. Each lottery offering will be open for a minimum entry period of three days. Specific days and times of lottery entry periods may change.
- Virginia ABC lotteries for limited availability products may involve one or multiple items; however, separate drawings will be conducted for each item. Each winning entrant may only purchase one bottle of each item in each lottery period.
- Only one unique entry per individual customer will be accepted in a single lottery. Each individual consumer may enter a maximum of one time per product code drawing conducted as part of a lottery. Duplicate entries from the same individual customer will be removed. A unique entry contains unique information in the following fields: name, email, phone number and last four digits of a valid ID.
- All Virginia residents (21 years of age and older) living in the same household may enter the lottery.
- Entrants must provide a unique, individual email addresses to enter. Shared email addresses are not permitted.
- Upon entry, entrants must provide the last four digits of a valid Virginia driver’s license or identification card distributed by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Active-duty members of the military with residency in Virginia must submit the following information to prove eligibility in Virginia: the last four digits of armed forces benefits number. If selected to purchase, members of the military must provide their armed forces identification card bearing the last four digits used to enter the lottery and orders to verify residency in Virginia.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to remove duplicate entries from entrants who Virginia ABC determines have submitted duplicate entries for a particular lottery. Virginia ABC reserves the right to bar entrants who Virginia ABC determines have submitted multiple duplicate entries from entering any future Virginia ABC product lotteries. Such customers will be notified in writing of their disqualification from entering future lotteries.
Under no circumstances will any individual consumer be permitted to purchase more than one item per product code from the same lottery. These purchase limits will be strictly enforced.
- Virginia ABC sends three sets of email communications to lottery entrants: A notification that the entry was submitted, a notification stating whether the entry was accepted or disqualified to participate in the drawing, and a winner or non-winner notification for all entries accepted to participate.
- Entrants selected during the random drawing process will be notified via email with the opportunity to purchase their bottle(s). Entrants will receive an email notification with a link to purchase the product online. The link includes a redeemable “token” that is valid for one purchase only and will expire after 10 days after the customer receives the email. Entrants must prepay for their lottery product. Purchase(s) must be made within 10 days of notification for the opportunity to purchase.
- Entrants that receive a winning customer email notification are not obligated to make a purchase, and no further action is required by the entrant to cancel an entry or claim. Claim tokens will automatically expire 10 days from the date the email notification is sent to the entrant.
- Lottery bottles will ship to the store selected by the winner selected at checkout. Once the order is placed, winners will not be able to change their store for pickup.
- Once payment is confirmed, winners will be notified via email that their bottle(s) will be shipped to the store the customer selected. Once the selected store has received the bottle, store staff will attempt to contact the customer via the phone number and/or email address provided on the entry form.
- Entrants not selected during the lottery will receive a non-winner notification email.
- If a bottle remains unclaimed at the store after a period of 14 days from the time the winner was notified of the product’s arrival to the store, that bottle will be retained in the store’s stockroom until their next authorized in-store limited availability event for sale on a first-come, first-served basis, or redistributed, as determined by Virginia ABC. Store holds will not be accepted for bottles sold in this manner. Bottles placed on the shelf for sale will be limited to one per customer, no exceptions.
- If a customer is found to be ineligible to pick up a lottery product, that product will be retained in the store’s stockroom until their next authorized in-store limited availability event for sale on a first-come, first-served basis. A refund will be granted to the customer for their prepaid online order. Store holds will not be accepted for bottles sold in this manner.
- All lottery bottles shipped to selected stores for winners who are found to be ineligible will be sold during the store’s next authorized in-store limited availability event.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to redistribute selected products until all inventory has been depleted, as well as to request that selected unclaimed bottles be returned to the warehouse in the case of damage or breakage of lottery bottles in warehouse inventory.
- If for any reason the online submission form is not capable of running as planned due to an infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Virginia ABC that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the sign-up process, Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the online submission form. In addition, Virginia ABC reserves the right to host a limited availability product lottery using a different process and/or form should the online form not be capable of running as planned. If the submission form is terminated or suspended, Virginia ABC, at its discretion, may distribute bottles in an equitable manner among the eligible, qualified entries received prior to action taken. Virginia ABC reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampered with the sign-up process.
- Virginia ABC assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect and delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure or destruction affecting entries or for unauthorized access to or alteration of entries.
- Virginia ABC reserves the right to change this policy in its sole discretion. In the event a lottery is currently running, the policy in effect at the time the lottery started will control the conduct of the lottery.
- An alternative pickup person(s) is not permissible. Members of the military whose orders may change during the duration of the lottery process must present their orders to Virginia ABC for allowance of an alternative pick up person.
Broken, Damaged or Lost Items
If an item is broken, damaged, or otherwise lost prior to the time of pick up, Virginia ABC will replace the product with one of the bottles of the same product set aside to address such incidents. Should there be no remaining bottles of the winning product, Virginia ABC will reimburse the customer for the amount of money actually paid to Virginia ABC for the product; No other reimbursement or compensation will be provided. Additionally, Virginia ABC is not responsible for and will not offer any compensation for any product breakage, damage, or loss that may occur after a winning entrant has taken possession of a product.
Resale of Product/Criminal Activity Prohibited
Items offered for sale to individual consumers may not be resold. The sale of alcoholic beverages without a license is strictly prohibited under Virginia law. Anyone suspected of violating applicable Virginia laws governing alcoholic beverages will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Furthermore, anyone suspected of engaging in fraudulent or other criminal activity in connection with a lottery or otherwise will be reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
Disqualification from Participation
Anyone who violates these terms and conditions may be disqualified from participation in current and future lotteries. Virginia ABC also reserves the right to disqualify any individual consumer suspected of engaging in any conduct intended to circumvent these terms and conditions or otherwise gain an unfair advantage over other entrants in current or future lotteries. Virginia ABC’s decisions relative to such matters shall be final and non-appealable.