Virginia ABC has established STAP as an approval process for alcohol server training courses pursuant to COV 4.1-227.E. Applications are accepted annually, September 1 through October 1 by 5 p.m. In order to submit your training program for approval you must complete the following steps:
Review the STAP Criteria (page 3 of the STAP application [PDF]) and follow the outlined format exactly when submitting your program.
Submit your application by mail to:
Education and Prevention Section
P.O. Box 27491
Richmond, VA 23261
Your application must include three copies of each of the following:
- STAP application (PDF)
- Three hard copies of your entire training program
- All PowerPoints, videos, online programs, etc.
- A script must be provided for each PowerPoint, video and online training
- Videos must be submitted on jump drives
- Answer key for all quizzes and tests
- Participant manual (in-classroom only)
- Instructor manual (in-classroom only)
- If your training is an online training, log-in and password information must be provided allowing reviewers unlimited access. Unlimited access includes range of the entire program, allowing reviewers to move freely throughout all slides, modules, quizzes, etc.
- All pages must be numbered on all printed documents
Failure to follow this format exactly or submit three copies of each of the above required documents will result in your program being denied.
During this process you may be asked to submit additional information or electronic files for clarification. Once approved, unlimited access to your program is still required.
It will be your responsibility to keep your program updated yearly with changes to Virginia's codes and regulations and to maintain all records of training classes conducted. All programs must be re-submitted for approval every three years. This process will ensure that all approved Virginia programs meet all requirements and are current with any changes to Virginia codes and regulations.
To remain an approved STAP member, your organization must submit the below information July 1–June 30, yearly. The information is due to Virginia ABC by July 15 at 5 pm via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to submit this information will result in removal as an approved STAP member.
- The number of completed classroom trainings held in Virginia
- The number of classroom participants who completed the course in Virginia
- The number of online participants who completed the course in Virginia
For additional questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.