Members of the news media are encouraged to observe the following style guidelines when referencing Virginia ABC:
- The full name is the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority. When shortening the name, please use Virginia ABC or ABC on second reference.
- Virginia ABC is an independent political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia—a classification of state government. When referring to Virginia ABC, the term “authority” is preferred over “agency,” but both terms can be used interchangeably, if necessary. Do not use board, department or commission.
- The authority is governed by the Virginia ABC Board of Directors. Individual board members should be referred to as board members, not commissioners or directors.
- Virginia ABC as a whole should not be referred to as the ABC Board.
- Virginia ABC’s Bureau of Law Enforcement should be referred to as the bureau on second reference.