Consolidated License Structure
Prior to 2022, Virginia ABC offered 152 different alcohol licenses. The reform reduced the number of different licenses to 71 licenses. These licenses fall under 12 new categories listed below. Some license fees have been adjusted.
New License Categories
- Retail – Mixed Beverage
- Retail – All Other
- Industry – Manufacturer – Brewery
- Industry – Manufacturer – Winery
- Industry – Manufacturer – Farm Winery
- Industry – Manufacturer – Distillery
- Industry – Wholesaler – Beer
- Industry – Wholesaler – Wine
- Industry – Shipper
- Industry – Specialty
Here is a summary of the general changes/modifications in privilege types (not all inclusive).
Beer Only License
The Beer Only License has been eliminated. In its place is a new Beer and Wine License which includes both privileges. A licensee may choose not to exercise either privilege.
On-Premises Only License
The On-Premises Only License has been eliminated. In its place is a new Retail On- and Off-Premises Wine and Beer License. A licensee may choose not to exercise both privileges.
- This license applies to hotels, restaurants, clubs, resorts, limited-service hotels, rural grocery stores, concert & dinner theaters, historic cinema houses, historic beer museums and hospitals.
- The following businesses need this license but also qualify for a Mixed Beverage “brownbag” exception: continuing care communities and select food concessions operators at coliseums, stadiums, racetracks, or similar venues.
Retail Off-Premises Wine & Beer License
This license applies to convenience grocery stores, delicatessens, drugstores, gift shops, gourmet oyster houses, gourmet shops, grocery stores and marina stores.
This privilege is automatically included with the Off-Premises Wine and Beer License and the On- and Off-Premises License. If exercised, the licensee must submit a monthly report of deliveries.
This privilege is automatically included for the Off-Premises Wine and Beer License and the On- and Off-Premises License. The licensee must now buy keg books.
This license replaces former licenses for day spas, meal assembly kitchens, clothiers, art instruction studios, canal boat operators, co-working establishments. The new Marketplace License may be issued to other new establishments deemed acceptable to the Board.
Mixed Beverage (MB) Restaurant License
The new MB Restaurant License automatically includes Beer & Wine On- and Off-Privileges. This license applies to:
- Restaurants and hotels with restaurants
- Resorts with restaurant mixed beverages
- Restaurants and casinos
- Mixed beverage restaurants with caterer licenses
- Restaurants at port of Eentry
- Restaurants on a municipal golf course
New seating classifications are now: less than 100, 101 to 150, 151 to 500, 501 to 1000 and over 1000 Seats
Other Mixed Beverage Licenses
All Mixed Beverage Licenses automatically include Beer and Wine. This licenses applies to:
- Limited Mixed Beverage Restaurant License
- Mixed Beverage Caterer’s License
- Mixed Beverage Limited Caterer’s License (limited is 12 events per year)
- Mixed Beverage Carrier License (which now includes buses)
- Annual Mixed Beverage Motor Sports Facility License
- Annual Mixed Beverage Performing Arts Facility License
- Annual Mixed Beverage Amphitheater License
- Annual Mixed Beverage Special Events Facility license
These licenses include:
- Banquet (Nonprofit) License – limited to no more than 12 banquets per year
- Banquet Facility License - for EMS and fire stations. May not include the sale of alcohol.
- Local Special Events License – limited to no more than 12 events per year.
- Annual Mixed Beverage License – limited to no more than 12 events per year and includes wine and beer privileges
- Equine Sporting Event License – limited to 4 calendar days per year
- Arts Venue Event License – may serve on premises only, 12 or fewer calendar days per year.
These licenses include:
- Internet Wine and Beer Retailer – was separate license-now combined - can do one or both
- Fruit Distiller - no longer a standalone license - All are now just a Distillery License
Limited Distiller’s License – now can produce up to 36,000 gallons
- Brewery License - now includes Retail Off-Premises (for beer other than their own)
- Limited Brewery license – now includes Retail Off-Premises (for beer other than their own)
- Winery License – now includes Retail Off-Premises (for wine other than their own)
- Farm Winery – now includes Retail Off-Premises (for wine other than their own)