Need a Vaccine? Learn how to get your shot at Vaccinate.Virginia.gov or call 1-877-VAX-IN VA. 8am - 8pm. Language translation available, TTY users dial 7-1-1. ¿Necesitas vacunarte? Enterate cómo conseguir tu vacuna Vaccinate.Virginia.gov o llamando al 1-877-829-4682 de 8am a 8pm. Traducción disponible en tu idioma. Usuarios de TTY pueden marcar al 7-1-1. Learn More.
Virginia ABC > Licenses > Get a License > Retail Licenses > On-Premise > Caterer, Mixed Beverage

Caterer, Mixed Beverage

A "mixed beverage" means a spirits drink composed in whole or in part of alcoholic beverages containing more than 14 percent alcohol by volume.

If the mixed beverage license was issued for a caterer, mixed beverages may be sold and served, for on-premise consumption, to persons attending private gatherings or at special events.

If the mixed beverage caterer's license was issued pursuant to COV 4.1-210.A (2), the following applies:

  • An established place of business with catering gross sales averaging at least $4,000 per month which has complied with the requirements of the local governing body concerning sanitation, health, construction or equipment and which has obtained all local permits or licenses required to conduct such a catering business.
  • The caterer shall notify Virginia ABC in writing at least two calendar days in advance of any events to be catered under his license for the following month. The notice shall include the date, time, location and address of the event and the name of the sponsoring person, group, corporation or association.
  • The records required to be kept by §90 of 3 VAC-5-70 shall also be maintained by caterers.
  • The annual gross receipts from the sale of food cooked and prepared for service at gatherings and events and the sale of nonalcoholic beverages served there shall amount to at least 45 percent of the gross receipts from the sale of mixed beverages and food.

Contact your special agent for further details, as the caterer's license applies only to the sponsorship of private gatherings or special events as defined in the ABC laws.

ABC Special Agents

Special agents are the primary resource for questions related to operating a business with an ABC license. Contact a special agent via your regional ABC office.
  • Caterer, Mixed Beverage