Get a License

Although Virginia ABC has many types of licenses, they fall within three basic categories: banquet, retail and industry licenses. In addition, there are a number of permits that may be added once a particular license is obtained.
champagne at special event

Banquet Licenses

Banquet licenses allow persons or groups to host events such as wedding receptions, tastings or fundraisers, where alcohol is served in an unlicensed location or club premise. Apply for a banquet license.

Retail Licenses

Retail licenses allow the sale of alcohol at restaurants, hotels, convenience stores, grocery stores, etc. Apply for retail licenses.

Glass bottles

Industry Licenses

Virginia ABC issues licenses for manufacturers, wholesalers and shippers of alcoholic beverages. Apply for industry licenses.


Additional privileges may be added to retail and industry licenses. These include keg, in-state delivery, and solicitor tasting permits. Apply for permits.

Licensee Masthead
Sign up for the Licensee e-newsletter to stay informed about selling and serving alcohol in Virginia.

Need Help?

Explore our list of frequently asked questions (FAQs).

For additional licensing assistance, please contact your regional ABC office or email enforcement@virginiaabc.com.

Bringing Personal Alcohol Into Virginia?

Moving into Virginia from out of the country or from another U.S. state? Returning to Virginia from vacation? Learn more about bringing personal alcohol into the Commonwealth.

Keg Information

If you are a consumer and wish to purchase a keg click here.