Virginia ABC > COVID-19 > Licensee Resources

Licensee Resources

Bureau of Law Enforcement Update Effective July 1, 2021

Executive Order Fifty One (51), created for businesses affected by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, will no longer be in effect starting July 1, 2021.

The Virginia ABC Bureau of Law Enforcement has updated guidance regarding procedural and regulatory matters for ABC licensed businesses. For detailed information following the end of Executive Order 51, please view the Topic Matrix (PDF).

Of particular concern to licensees:

  • License Deferrals—see Topic 12
  • Outdoor Dining—see the Circular Letter 21-02 and Topic 16
  • Cocktails To Go—see Topics 7 and 13

For questions, please contact your special agent or the Bureau of Law Enforcement at 804-213-4565 or enforcement@virginiaabc.com.

Carding During COVID

Executive Order 63 still requires unvaccinated individuals to wear face coverings when in public areas to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Verifying identity and age of an individual making an alcohol purchase can be difficult for licensees.

When checking identification for an individual wearing a mask, please follow these steps:

  • Check the ID for authenticity and date of birth as you normally would.
  • Compare physical features of the individual, such as hairline, shape and position of ears and eyes.
  • Ask the individual to step back and lower their mask to ensure proper identification.

View PDF of Carding During COVID guide. Vermont Dept of Liquor and Lottery

Click the image to view a carding guide courtesy of Vermont Department of Liquor and Lottery.