Virginia ABC Special Agents are sworn police officers with full law enforcement authority. Duties range from administrative inspections to criminal investigations. Below is an outline of ABC Special Agent qualifications, duties, benefits and required training. Check our Current Openings to see if ABC is actively recruiting for these positions.
ABC Special Agent Qualifications:
- Must be at least 21 years of age on date of hire;
- Must be a high school graduate or have a GED; college and/or related experience preferred;
- Must have successfully completed training in a certified, full-time Virginia police academy or possess the ability to complete training in a certified, full-time police academy at time of appointment;
- Must be of good character and reputation as established by a background investigation to include but not be limited to: polygraph examination, prior work experience, character and reputation references, credit history and police records;
- Must be able to successfully pass a medical examination including psychological evaluation;
- Must be in possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record;
- Must be willing to work rotating shifts and weekends;
- Must be willing to travel when necessary to assist with investigations, attend trainings, etc.; and
- Upon appointment, must establish residence within assigned geographic region.
ABC Special Agent Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Inspecting ABC licensed establishments throughout the year to ensure compliance; conducting follow-up investigations related to falsification of records, money laundering, tax evasion and more;
- Conducting criminal investigations in conjunction with ABC-related matters, including illicit drug use or distribution, illegal weapons, gambling or counterfeit activities, and more;
- Conducting surveillance and investigations of licensed and unlicensed establishments ("nip joints") to curb illegal activities including sales to underage or intoxicated persons;
- Conducting background investigations to determine the suitability of licensee applicants;
- Ensuring public safety and health;
- Ensuring the collection of tax dollars;
- Responding to other law enforcement agencies; and
- Serving as a liaison to the local community.
Other ABC Special Agent Training Requirements:
- Must successfully complete an official field training program; and
- Must successfully complete a 12-month probationary period. (Current state employees may be exempt.)
ABC Special Agents receive specialized training, law enforcement equipment, life insurance, health insurance, sick leave, paid vacation and also earn retirement in the Virginia Law Officers Retirement System (VALORS).